REF No. 6810
An Elegant Parisian Side Cabinet by F.Durand et Fils
Dimensions: H: 51.5 in / 131 cm W: 31.5 in / 80 cm D: 18 in / 46 cm
Constructed in quarter veneered Amaranth, highlighted with citronnier stringing, and dressed with finely cast and chased gilt bronze work, and ‘Sevres’ porcelain plaques: rising from foliate gilt bronze hoof feet, supporting gently swept cabriole legs, and incorporating a shaped bronze galleried undertier: the cabinet having double doors with porcelain plaques of rose and blue trellis work, around central bouquets tied with ‘lovers bow’ knot, mounted in foliate cast gilt bronze frames, and enclosing a fitted interior of pigeon holes and drawers, with brass handles: bronze bouquets to the sides, within inlaid citronnier arabesques. Stamped
with the marque de fer of the maker, ‘F. Durand et Fils’ several times to the underside. Paris, Circa 1890
Specialising in the production of 18th century style furniture of the finest quality, Gervais-Maximillien-Eugène Durand (b.1839) exhibited at the Universelle Exposition of Paris in 1889, gaining a silver medal, and the praise of the judges, who compared their work with that of Beurdeley and Dasson With his son Frederic-Louis joining him around 1890, the firm changed its name to Durand et Fils.