The seven piece suite comprising ;- a tiered epergne, four footed sweetmeat stands and two elliptical trays, embossed with vines, grapes and foliates, all bearing clear assay Hall Marks for Sheffield, 1883, and the makers punch; engraved with a rampant lion, and the motto ‘Heb Dduw Heb Ddim’, the Welsh being translated as ‘Without God, We Have Nothing’; housed in a presentation case, bearing an engraved brass plaque noting the name of the recipient, and the presenters, the North Staffordshire Railway Company.
Sheffield, Circa 1883
The North Staffordshire Railway (NSR) was formed in 1845 to serve the Staffordshire potteries, and area around Stoke on Trent, remaining independent until 1923, when it was amalgamated into the London, Midland and Scottish Railway Company.Biography
Elkington and Company, formed by the brothers George and Henry, was founded in the 1830’s, after perfecting their newly patented method of electro plating in gold and silver, for which their first patent was granted in 1840. They exhibited at the European and British nineteenth century Great Exhibitions, and were given permission by Queen Victoria in 1868 to copy the collection of Royal Plate. Royal warrants were granted to them by, inter alia, Queen Victoria, Edward V11th, Queen Alexandra, and George Vth, and various European heads of states. In the early twentieth century, they supplied flatware to the White Star Line, whose ships included the Titanic.REF No. 7891