H: 29 in / 74 cm | W: 56.5 in / 143 cm | D: 30.5 in / 77 cmDescription
Of free standing, bow ended rectangular form, constructed in amboyna, with gilt highlights, and specimen wood foliate inlays, dressed with gilt highlights; the slab end supports with scrolled feet, flanked by turned, tapering and reeded columns have a conjoining shaped stretcher, issuing from a distended central boss capped with an elliptical carved ornament; two drawers in the frieze, with faux drawers to the obverse. Stamped to the underside ‘Johnstone, Jeanes & Co, 67 New Bond Street 10851.
Johnstone, Jeanes & Co
John Johnstone of Bond Street came to prominence after his collaboration with Robert Jupe, an ‘upholder’ of 47 Welbeck Street, Cavendish Square, London, who patented a remarkable design for a circular expanding dining table with a segmented top in 1835. After Jupe’s death, the firm traded as ‘Johnstone and Jeanes’ from 1842 until 1880, continuing the tradition of producing high quality furniture. Both the Royal Collection Trust and the Victoria & Albert Museum own stamped pieces of furniture in its’ collections.
The firm later became ‘Johnstone & Norman’, trading until the early years of the twentieth century.
You may also like
A Magnificent Library Centre Table of Exhibition Quality of the George IVth Period, in the Manner of Morel & Seddon Morel & Seddon
An Attractive Drum Top Library Table By William Freeman of Norwich
A Late Georgian Centre Table Firmly Attributed to Morel & Seddon
A Library Table of the Regency Period in the Manner of Marsh & Tatham
A Louis XVI Centre Writing Table in the Aesthetic Taste, Firmly Attributed to Holland & Son Holland & Sons
A Royal Table Made by Morel & Seddon for Windsor Castle Morel & Seddon