H: 28 in / 71 cm | W: 24 in / 61 cm | D: 24 in / 61 cmDescription
Constructed in Kingwood, with gilt bronze mounts, and excellent marquetry work accents; rising from cabriole legs, mounted with foliate bronze sabots, and pierced spandrels atop, the frieze housing a single drawer, with a mahogany lining, and quadrant mouldings, with makers stamp to the leading edge: the quartered top having a running pearl bronze guard band, and decorated with pairs of musical trophies, and floral boquets. Circa 1880Biography
The firm of Edwards & Roberts was founded in 1845, and had premises at 21 Wardour Street, London. By 1892 they occupied more than a dozen buildings in Wardour Street, where they continued to trade until the end of the century.
Known and feted as one of the leading London cabinet makers and retailers, they worked in a variety of styles, both modern and revivalist especially furniture in the Neo Classical Adam revival, as well as the French furniture of the ancien régime, and exhibiting a range of ability in their products, from ‘very good to astonishingly good’. Their marquetry work, as in these examples, is of a quality that equals the creations of the French ébenistes of the eighteenth century.
The business involved making and retailing their own output, as well as adapting and restoring both English & Continental antique furniture, and many examples that bear their stamp or trade label have passed through our hands.
You may also like
A Pair of Console Tables in the Neoclassical Style Firmly Attributed to Edwards & Roberts Edwards & Roberts
Games Table of the George IV Period Firmly Attributable to Gillow Gillows
Mahogany and Ormolu Mounted William IV Games Table
A Mahogany Roulette and Card Table Maples & Co (1841 - )
A Fine Card Table in the Louis XVIth Manner
A Late Georgian Games Table Firmly Attributed to Gillows of Lancaster Gillows