H: 46 in / 117 cm | W: 21.5 in / 55 cm | D: 15.5 in / 39 cmDescription
Constructed in Ebony and Macassar Ebony: rising on square section castor shod feet, the lower part having two drawers fitted with brass pulls, flanked by gilt reeded stiles; over, two doors dressed with brass sunbursts at the angles, enclose a fitted interior, with sliding shelves: a Wedgwood type basalt plaque depicting Grecian maids at an altar is set into the ceinture, and having a running dentil moulding above. The platform having a gallery, with bats wing spandrels supporting a Doric triangular pediment. Signed to the top drawer, ‘Lamb of Manchester’.
James Lamb (1816-1903) joined the family business and under his guidance it became the pre eminent Manchester cabinet making company, with workshops in nearby Castleford, and the showroom in John Dalton Street.
Leading edge designers such as Bruce Talbert and Charles Bevan were employed, leading to their exhibiting at the London 1862 Great Exhibition, and the Paris Expositions Universelles of 1867 and 1878, winning medals on each occasion. His obituary in the ‘Journal of Decorative Arts & British Decoration’ records that ‘his name stood for fifty years as a landmark … of industrial art’.