H: 14 in / 36 cm | W: 10.5 in / 27 cm | D: 8 in / 21 cmDescription
The hinged cover with an inset brass monogram, the base with a jewellery drawer and two fitted internal trays, containing silver gilt mounted fittings, each engine turned and engraved with strapwork and foliate scrolls and each with an applied monogram, London
Asprey was established in 1781 by William Asprey, as an emporium for articles de luxe. In 1841, the founder's eldest son, Charles established the business at 166 New Bond Street, advertising their 'articles of exclusive design and high quality, whether for personal adornment or personal accompaniment and to endow with richness and beauty the table and homes of people of refinement and discernment.' Asprey crafted traditional cases and designed luggage suitable for the new style of travel ushered in by railways, and was recognised for its expertise when it won a Gold medal for its dressing cases at the London Great Exhibition of 1862. In 1862 Asprey was granted its first Royal Warrant by Queen Victoria and later the Prince of Wales, before he became Edward VII.