H: 30 in / 76 cm | Dia: 62 in / 157 cmDescription
Of octagonal form, being constructed in Ebony, with extensive and comprehensive inlays of fruitwood and mother-of –pearl pictorially depicting foliates, urns, flora, and birds; rising from quadripartite scrolled feet, dressed with paterae, which support the central platform of truncated pyramidical form, in turn flanked by four faux fluted columns having lotus capitols: the top having a central inlaid Grecian flower-filled urn, with eight radially laid reserves, containing further complex inlay work of great finesse.
Florence, Circa 1845
This centre table is an important example of the detailed naturalistic marquetry work executed by the Florentine brothers Luigi (1794-1861) and Angiolo Falcini (fl. 1836-69) in the second quarter of the nineteenth century. Renowned for their elegant designs, and superbly executed inlay work, which they displayed to great acclaim at the 1851 Crystal Palace Exhibition.Literature
Enrico Colle ‘Il Mobile dell’Ottocento in Italia’, published Electa 2007, Simone Chiarugi,’ Botteghe di Mobilieri in Toscana 1780-1900’, Firenze,1994, . Alvar González-Palacios, ‘Il Tempio del Gusto, La Toscana e l Italie Settentrional’, Vol. II, Milan, 1986,REF No. 8269