H: 42 in / 107 cm | W: 48.5 in / 123 cm | D: 26 in / 65 cmDescription
Of gentle breakfront form, constructed in goncalo alves, dressed with gilt metal mounts and hand decorated polychrome panels; rising from swept cabriole legs shod with gilt metal animal hoof toes; enclosing a shelved interior, above a carved apron with foliates around a central rosace the lockable central cupboard has a panel depicting musical attributes suspended from an arched garland capped by flambeaux, and is flanked by panels decorated with arabesque garlands, quivers and addorsed swans – all panels enclosed within stiff leaf cast gilt metal frames; a single shelf to the interior; the side panels dressed with trellis work, and turtle doves enclosed within a chain of marguerites; carved rams heads to the angles, and the frieze housing a scroll and foliate carved drawer having an elliptical ring handle; the Carrara mable platform having everted angles, and enclosed within a giltwork frame. Stamped with the maker’s name ‘Jas Shoolbred & Co 8344’.
London, Circa 1880
James Shoolbred established a drapery business in the 1820s in Tottenham Court Road London. The firm continually expanded both their range of products and their size of premises throughout the nineteenth century. By the 1870s, the store was noted for its substantial and elegant displays of home furnishings. Around 1873, James Shoolbred entered the furniture trade and in the 1880s, the various physical additions to the site were rebuilt into a new department store. The business eventually closed in 1931.REF No. 7569