H: 40 in / 102 cm | W: 22 in / 56.5 cm | D: 9 in / 23 cmDescription
Constructed using a finely patinated mahogany, brass, and bronze; rising from bronze shod turned and tapering circular legs supporting shaped square section reeded angles, each of which encompass four shelves and a platform, having brass trellis wire to the sides, and dressed with a three quarter arcaded bronze gallery.
French, Circa 1870
Lemonnier, Patrice and Maurice Segoura. Weisweiler. Paris: Éditions d’art Monelle Hayot, 1983.Biography
Born in Neuwied, and believed to have served his apprenticeship under the tutelage of one the greatest of all German cabinet makers, David Roentgen, he established himself at 67 Rue du Faubourg-Sainte-Antoine in the reign of Louis XVIth, obtaining Royal Commisions from the Queen for the Chateau St. Cloud. Madame de Pompadour and her brother, the Marquis de Marigny encouraged his adoption of the restrained gout anglais. Features that were repeated in his oeuvres were the loop form stretcher, and the cluster colonettes.
Lierature; ‘Weisweiler’ by Segoura et Lemonnier, Paris 1983