H: 51.5 in / 130 cm W: 43 in / 109 cm D: 18 in / 45 cmDescription
Constructed in Kingwood, with ormolu mounts, and enclosing lacquer panels in the Asian taste; rising from swept ormolu mounted legs, the shaped apron having a central foliate ormolu mount; the two shaped doors have ormolu frames with inset lacquer panels, and enclose a shelved interior; the top being a shaped marble Breche d'Alep with a thumbnail edge. Signed to the reverse by the maker.
French, Circa 1900
Founded in 1841 by John Maple, manufacturing and retailing from the hub of the furniture centre in London's Tottenham Court Road, and through the founder & his son's drive and excellence of the products of the company, expanded greatly, to have further workshops and points of sale in both Paris and Buenos Aires, and later, a shop in Smyrna. Clientele included Queen Victoria, King Edward V11th, members of the Royal Household, the King of Siam, and the Nicholas, Tsar of Russia. Later, Maples would furnish the Royal yachts, the QE1, QE2 and the Queen Mary, as well as hotels in Nice, London, Paris and Siam.
The Paris branch opened in the late 19th century, eventually closing in 2014.
Breche d'Alep marble from the Bouche-du-Rhone area in the south of France, was the marble of choice for many 18th- and 19th-century French cabinet makers.
You may also like
A Fine Pair of Marquetry Side Cabinets
An Italian Carved Walnut Vitrine
A Vernis Martin Cabinet in the Louis XVI Manner
A Pair of Display Vitrines in the Early Georgian Manner Probably by Lengyon & Morant
A Cabinet Stamped by Gillows of Lancaster Gillow
An Ormolu-Mounted Mahogany Vitrine by François Linke