Menu 
 
 
 
An Ormolu-Mounted Mahogany Vitrine by François Linke

H: 63.5 in / 160 cm  |  W: 33.5 in / 85 cm  |  D: 16 in / 40 cm

Description

A French Ormolu-Mounted Mahogany Vitrine
by François Linke, Paris

Of demi-lune outline, constructed in mahogany, with gilt bronze mounts, in the Louis XVI Transitional style, rising from scroll & acanthus cast sabots, with gently swept cabriole legs capped with floriate espagnolettes. Having a convex single door of symmetrical form enclosing a glass and mirrored shelved interior, the frieze mounted with two satyr putti and one central Dionysian putto held aloft in a hammock of abundant vine leaves and bunches of grapes, flanked at the outer corners with graeco-roman female herms and ribbon-tied floral swags. The central relief plaque beneath depicting four putti in an idyllic setting surrounded by flowers, vine leaves, and scrolling foliage. The whole surmounted with a fine Breccia marble top. The lock plate signed by the maker.

The original key was made by Linke, having a cypher of two interlaced Ls, called the Louis XVI couronne royale.

French, Circa 1890

Literature

The mounts adorning the frieze as well as the oval plaque are identical to a signed Linke piece previously with Butchoff, as well as being identical to Linke index number 1122 & 38.

Literature:
Payne, Christopher. François Linke, 1855-1946: The Belle Epoque of French Furniture. Woodbridge: Antique Collectors' Club, 2003.


François Linke

François Linke (1855-1946) is considered to be one of the finest ebenistes and bronziers of the 19th century.  He moved from Pankratz, Bohemia where he completed his apprenticeship under the strictest of training, to Paris in 1881, setting up shop in the Place Vendome, and with his workshops in the faubourg Saint Antoine, he quickly attracted a wealthy clientele, appreciative of the excellence of his work. Specialising in the style of the ancien regime and modifying the proportions of the original works to suit the smaller Parisian apartments, he was an exhibitor at the Paris Exposition Universelles of 1878, 1889, and 1900, and at the last, a Gold Medal winner par excellence for his extraordinary Bureau du Rois.

REF No. 9034

Recently viewed