H: 46 in / 116 cm | W: 31 in / 79 cm | D: 20 in / 50 cmDescription
A Very Fine Meuble d'Appui after Andre-Charles Boulle
Firmly Attributed to Charles-Guillaume Winckelsen (1812-1871)
Constructed in ebony and ormolu, and adorned extensively with both premiere and contre-partie inlay work of tortoiseshell, pewter and brass, and a vert de Mer marble platform; rising from tapering conical torsade feet supporting the base, dressed with paterae within a beaded border, and a gentle breakfront plinth over, adorned with three arabesque inlaid panels; over, the centrally situated door is set within an ormolu frame, two bold paw feet housing a central mask of Ceres, and above, a medallion of Louis XIV in profile, bearing the legend 'Ludovicus Magnus Rex', garlanded with bellflowers, issuing from a scallop shell, with two addorsed Zephyrs; the lockable door opens to reveal four oak lined drawers, with further inlay, and the door's reverse conformingly inlaid; the door is flanked by further inlays to the panels, and the whole framed within a brass inlaid border; each side has banks of four lockable oak lined drawers with ormolu escutcheons cast as leafy wreaths. Surmounted by a Verte de Mer thumb nail moulded edged marble top.
French, Circa 1865
The Louvre in Paris houses a pair of cabinets by Andre-Charles Boulle (1642-1732), are dated at c.1700, which now bear the stamp of Etienne Levasseur (1721-1798), a maitre ebeniste who apparently restored them, and made copies, dated to c.1775 which now are with the Wallace Collection, London. This pair were exhibited in the Musee Retrospective Paris Exhibition of 1865 when they were indubitably viewed by Winckelesen. Our cabinet has the door lock with the name of the maker 'Souchet a Paris', which was utilised on a cabinet also attributed to Winckelsen, perhaps the pair to ours, as the internal door facing has identical 'Boulle' inlays, in contre-partie, whereas ours is in premiere partie; other furniture utilising Souchet locks is to be found within Wincklesen's oeuvre.
Charles-Guillaume Winckelsen (1812-1871)
First came to prominence for the excellence of his work from his address at Rue Val-Sainte-Catherine, and he later worked from Rue de Turenne; specialising in fine furniture, lighting and decoration of the ancien regime; his clients including the Prince Radziwill and the Marquis de Lilliers. Ledoux-Lebard notes the small output of the company, since quality was his main aim; after his death, his stock and workmen were taken over by Henri Dasson (qv).
Payne, Christopher. Paris Furniture: The Luxury Market of the 19th Century, Château de Saint-Rémy: Éditions Monelle Hayot, 2018, pp 549-554.
Alcouffe, Daniel, Anne Dion-Tenenbaum, Amaury Lefeìbure, and Bill, G. B. Pallot. Furniture Collections in the Louvre. Dijon: Editions Faton, 1993, pp 64-69.
Hughes, Peter. The Wallace Collection : Catalogue of Furniture. Vol. 2. London: Wallace Collection, 1995, pp 585-594.
Ledoux-Lebard, Denise. Le mobilier francais du XIXe siècle, 1795-1889 : dictionnaire des ébénistes et des menuisiers, Paris: Éditions de l'amateur, 2000; p 635.
You may also like
A Ladies Dressing Table Made by the Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co. of London for His Highness Nawab of Bahawalpur Sadiq Muhammad Abbasi V The Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Company Ltd
A Marquetry and Gilt Bronze Secretaire by Rogie after the original in the Wallace Collection Maison Rogie
A Royal Table Made by Morel & Seddon for Windsor Castle Morel & Seddon
A Regency Table Firmly Attributed to Gillow with Provenance to the Marchioness Dowager of Bath Gillow
A Bureau Plat in the Louis XIV Manner By Toms and Luscombe