makers / Benedetto Boschetti
Benedetto Boschetti (fl 1820-1860) had his gallery at 74 Via dei Condotti, Rome, hard by the Piazza di Spagna, selling carved works, after the antique, as well as micromosaics and bronzes. This street had been extant since Roman times (the ‘condotti’ were the conduits taking water from the Tiber to the Baths of Agrippa). He exhibited two ‘mosaic tables’ at the Great Exhibition of 1851 in Crystal Palace. The current tenant of 74 Via dei Condotti is Ferregamo, the fashion house.
Bonfigli’s Roman Artistical Dictionary of 1856 lists Boschetti’s shop and observes that “The Establishment is particularly conspicuous for its great variety of marble works, bronzes, candelabras, table-tops, etc. besides a rich collection of the best mosaics and shell engravings.” Boschetti’s work as a mosaicist is known primarily from a table bearing the Triumph of Cupid in the Gilbert Collection . His work in marble includes a fine copy of the Warwick Vase in rosso antico (now in the Toledo Museum, Ohio), and a goblet in giallo antico