makers / Arthur JONES
The firm of Arthur Jones was originally established in 1765. By 1820 the business was being run by William Jones from premises at 5 South King Street, Dublin. Between 1825 and 1834 the firm became William Jones and Sons, trading from 5 and 6 South King Street, later expanding to 134 Stephens Green. In 1840 William's son Arthur took over the business, and traded as Arthur Jones & Son until 1899 from premises at 153 St Stephens Green. The firm continued in business until 1944 (cf. The Knight of Glin, 'Dublin Directories and Trade Labels', Furniture History, vol.XXI, 1985, pp.267-268).