makers / James Winter & Sons
James Winter & Sons
The business commenced at 101 Wardour Street in 1823, and, after 1840, moving to 151/153/155 Wardour Street. The ‘James Winter’ label describes themselves as ‘Brokers, Appraisers & Undertakers, Dealer in Second Hand Household Furniture’. A trade card, recently found, notes ‘A Liberal Price for Second Hand Furniture in Large or Small Quantities’. They offered the service ‘Rents Collected & Legally Recovered’. Much of the furniture stamped by the company is of the very highest quality. (c.f. Marked London Furniture 1700-1840’ by Christopher Gilbert, published by the Furniture History Society). The company closed in 1870.