makers / The Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Company Ltd
The Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Company Ltd
The company began trading in 1880 as the ‘Manufacturing Goldsmiths and Silversmiths Ltd’ with extensive premises, covering a quarter of an acre, at 112 Regent Street, having been established by William Gibson and John Langman, who had their marks registered at both the London and Sheffield Assay Offices. In 1889 they acquired Mappin Brothers, followed by the acquisition in 1893 with the Goldsmiths Alliance (A B Savory & Sons), further acquiring Garrard & Co (established in 1725, the Crown Jewellers, a title bestowed on the company by Queen Victoria in 1843) in 1952.
In 1959 Mappin and Webb took over the Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Company Ltd. The company had participated in International exhibitions in the Philadelphia Centennial exhibition of 1876, Paris in 1889 and, 1900, winning the Grand Prix prize, with William Gibson being made a chevalier of the Legion d’honneur.