close

Collection / Desks & Writing Furniture / Bureau Plats & Writing Tables

19777

A Superb Library Table in the Louis XVI Manner By Maison Pretot of Paris

A Superb Library Table in the Louis XVI Manner By Maison Pretot of Paris

Dimensions: H: 29.5 in / 75 cm  |  W: 71 in / 180 cm  |  D: 36 in / 91 cm

19777

A Superb Library Table in the Louis XVI Manner
By Maison Pretot of Paris

Of exceptional quality, constructed using beautifully grained woods, including burr walnut, boxwood, and sycamore, adorned with very finely cast, hand-chased and gilded ormolu mounts; the end supports rising from castor-shod downward curved legs with carved ram's head terminals, surmounted by fluted double columns with carved acanthus leaves flanking an urn with carved frieze and ormolu handles and berried finials; joined by a tapering, fluted, and turned stretcher with ormolu collars; the symmetrical shaped serpentine crossbanded and inlaid top on a burr walnut ground inset with a gilt tooled leather surface; with two lockable drawers housed in the frieze of conforming outline and inlaid with a continuous marquetry guilloche pattern. Stamped by Maison Pretot of Paris, the bronzes with the foundry marks of Henri Picard.
French, circa 1860

Maison Pretot of Paris

Founded by Hippolyte-Edme Pretot, and first listed in 1836 on the rue de l'Abbaye, Maison Pretot was especially well-regarded for its hybrid Louis XIV/XVI style furniture which employed complex marquetry as well as hardstone inlay. Rather than creating copies, his furniture has a confident Napoleon III approach, which was welcomed at the 1949 Paris exposition, the 1851 Crystal Palace Exhibition as well as the 1862 (London) & 1867 (Paris) exhibitions at which point the firm was owned by Frederic Roux.

Henri Picard of Paris

Picard established his business as a bronzier in 1831 on the rue de Jarente, working independently from cabinetmakers and supplying exceptional quality bronze mounts to the top Parisian makers. The firm's reputation was acknowledged when they were commissioned to produce a pair of candelabra, circa 1840, for the Louvre where they remain to this day.

REF No. 10150

You may also like








Recently viewed