H: 36 in / 92 cm | W: 71 in / 180 cm | D: 35 in / 89 cmDescription
A Splendid Pair of Console Tables From Shrublands Park, Coddenham, Suffolk, By Thomas Fairs of 139 New Bond Street, Firmly Attributed to Morant & Company of Bond Street.
Of important size, of concave and shaped breakfront form, with a raised circular central dais, having exquisitely carved cherubs as end supports, amidst exuberantly carved foliage, decorated in gilt and ivory paintwork. The backs with mirror plates. The platforms tops are a substantial Antico Verde marble. Circa 1849.
These tables are recorded in the “Shrublands” archives in an invoice from T.Fairs, a decorator. They are attibutable to Morant and Company of Bond Street, London, exhibitors at the Great Exhibition of 1851, and the Universal Exhibitions of New York 1853 and London 1855 and 1862.
‘The Dictionary of English Furniture Makers 1660-1840’, published by the Furniture History Society informs that Morant Snr. was a maker of carved and gilded frames from early in the reign of George 1Vth, and his trade card describes the company as ‘Ornamental Painter & Paper Hanging Manufacturer to their Royal Highnesses’. Work was executed for Sir Thomas Lawrence, Sir Robert Peel, the Dukes of Sussex, Cambridge and Sutherland, inter alia. The company exhibited in the Great Exhibition of 1851, the New York International Exhibition of 1853, and the London International Exhibition of 1862. ‘Masterpieces of Industrial Art & Sculpture, edited by J.B.Waring, published in 1862 illustrates a wonderful sideboard made for Lord Ellesmere, that was shown at this exhibition. A Royal Warrant was granted in 1840, by Queen Victoria. Throughout the Nineteenth Century, they were recognised as one of England’s most eminent cabinet makers.REF No. 6706
You may also like
A Centre Table of Very Fine Quality
A Mahogany Games Table attributed to Maples of London
A Refined Kingwood Card Table In the Louis XV Manner
A Refined Rosewood Occasional Table Attributed to Collinson & Lock
A Satinwood Marquetry Workbox Table
A Pair of Late Georgian Adjustable Tripod Tables Attributed to Gillows