H: 71 in / 179 cm | W: 45.5 in / 115 cm | D: 14 in / 35 cmDescription
A Remarkable Pair of Display Cabinets
By Henri Picard of Paris
Constructed in mahogany, with extensive and superlative ormolu decoartion. The cabinets of rectangular form, rising from turned and tapering toupie feet supporting an inverted breakfront lower tier, the shaped aprons housing three lockable drawers and incorporating gilt bronze mounts in the manner of Riesener. The square tapering legs decorated in conforming ormolu of the highest quality, and flanking a central cartouche depicting a lyre. The central vitrine lockable doors enclosing shelved mirrored interiors, their pediments decorated with scrolling bronze mounts below ormolu-balustrated galleries. The mounts bearing the maker's mark of Henri Picard, "HPR." Retailed by Wilkinson & Son of 8 Old Bond Street.
French, Circa 1870
Henri Picard, a notable fondeur and doreur, is recorded as working in Paris from 1831 to 1864, from 6 rue Jarente and later at 10 rue de la Perle.
Their work was highly regarded by the Emperor Napoleon the Third, and they supplied furniture to his apartments in Fontainebleau, now on exhibit in the Louvre.
You may also like
A Magnificent Oak Partner’s Desk made in the Gothic Manner
‘His Old Wedding Hat’ by Charles Spencelayh
A Fine and Important Pedestal Cupboard in the Louis XIV Manner by Henry Dasson
A Pair of George III Mirrors Attributed to John Linnell
A Pair of Fauteuils de Bureau of the Napoleon III Period
An Exhibition Quality Garniture de Cheminée By Jules Graux