Menu 
 
 
 
A Very Fine Pair of Side Tables attributed to Town and Emanuel

H: 31 in / 79 cm  |  W: 34 in / 86 cm  |  D: 18 in / 45.5 cm

Description

A Very Fine Pair of Side Tables in the Louis XV Manner
attributed to Town and Emanuel

Constructed in kingwood and tulipwood, adorned with 'Sèvres' porcelain plaques decorated with pastoral scenes on a 'fond vert' palette, and dressed with fire gilded bronze mounts throughout. Each of rectangular form, the tables rising from sabot-shod cabriole legs terminating in winged female espagnolettes; the slight breakfont frieze bearing porcelain panels, while the tops quarter-veneered and crossbanded within a gilt metal border.
English, circa 1835

Literature

The fashion for displaying Sèvres porcelain plaques around the frieze of a table was probably started by the influential marchand-mercier Simon-Philippe Poirier who commissioned plaques directly from the Sèvres manufactory to be mounted on Martin Carlin's furniture, the celebrated Louis XV-era ébéniste.

This French tradition was taken up by 19th century English firms such as Town & Emanuel who embraced the new Anglo-Gallic taste of their aristocratic clients, including Queen Adelaide, wife of King William IV, and the Duke of Sutherland. Town & Emanuel traded from their New Bond Street address throughout the 1830s, their trade label advertising 'Tables inlaid with fine Sevre & Dresden China.'

REF No. 9722

Recently viewed