H: 29 in / 74 cm | W: 22 in / 56 cmDescription
A well executed hand carved limewood piece of asymmetrical form, centred around a pendant fox, which has glass eyes, powder flasks and a hunting rifle and pouch backing; a plaited rope atop; the frame profusely carved with foliage. Circa 1890.Literature
Brienz, in the Bernese Oberland, Switzerland was remarked upon in Baedeker’s Travel Guide, as having a population of 2400, of whom 600 persons were employed as woodcarvers, to supply the tourist trade to Switzerland with mementos of the tour. A museum devoted entirely to wood carving may be visited today.
In the Nineteenth Century, Messrs Jobin of Brienz (founded 1835) produced a catalogue of their wares. Our plaque is a variant of a model depicted in Plate XV1.
Literature; ‘Swiss Carvings , The Art of the Black Forest’ by Arenski, Daniels and Daniels, published by The Antique Collectors Club 2004.
You may also like
A Pontypool Tray of the Regency period
A Sterling Silver Mid Nineteenth Century Epergne By Stephen Smith & William Nicholson
A Carved Wooden Bear from the 'Black Forest'
An Ensemble de Bureau in the Louis XVI Taste
A Jewel Casket in the Louis XVI Manner
An Important Pair of Louis XVI Style Ormolu Candlesticks In the manner of Pierre Gouthière