Dimensions: H: 30 in / 76.5 cm | Dia: 53.5 in / 136 cmDescription
Constructed in walnut, with detailed marquetry inlay work, and brass and gilt highlights; rising from a castor shod tripartite knurled and scrolled cabriole legged base issuing turned, tapering and carved columns supporting the tilt-top platform; the circular top of finely figured Circassian walnut inlaid with floral arabesques. the lower rim having a bronze running pearl border. Stamped to the underside 'Johnstone & Jeanes'.
Johnstone, Jeanes & Co
John Johnstone of Bond Street came to prominence after his collaboration with Robert Jupe, an 'upholder' of 47 Welbeck Street, Cavendish Square, London, who patented a remarkable design for a circular expanding dining table with a segmented top in 1835. After Jupe's death, the firm traded as 'Johnstone and Jeanes' from 1842 until 1880, moving to Bond Street and continuing the tradition of producing high quality furniture.They exhibited at the Great Exhibition 1851, The International Exhibition of London in 1862, and The Paris Exhibition of 1878. Both the Royal Collection Trust and the Victoria & Albert Museum own stamped pieces of furniture in their collections.The firm later became 'Johnstone & Norman', trading until the early years of the twentieth century.
Furniture History Society (1972/9)A Pictorial Dictionary of Marked London Furniture 1700-1840 Maney & Co 1996, Christopher Gilbert